Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Flowering Gift

We met a woman atop the Empire State Building who, seeing me with a camera and speaking in broken English, asked if I would take a picture with her camera of she and her husband.  She was carrying a bright bouquet of flowers with her which looked very familiar to me.  Earlier, while touring the open Observatory Deck, I spotted those same flowers and took this picture:

Flowers above the city

The fragility of the flowers seemed like an interesting contrast against the steel and concrete that surrounded us.  So now, thanks to our shared interest in photography, I met the flowers' owner.   Of course I was happy to take her picture, and then asked her to do the same of us with mine.  She took this photo:

Taken by the Flower Lady

After we said our thank you's and good-bye's, as much through gestures as words, we wandered in our separate directions.  Until a few minutes later, when the woman reappeared and handed my wife a yellow flower from her bouquet, with many more thank you's and well wishes.  That yellow flower accompanied us the rest of our trip and even survived the train ride back to Massachusetts.  Before we left our hotel, I took this photo. 

The NYC Flower

I call it the NYC Flower, complete with dirty window! 

I will always remember that woman and her yellow flower, our chance encounter, her generosity and friendliness. 

Technorati Tags:

No comments: